Bikedata provides cycling-related data to help advocacy, aiming to provide a ‘one-stop shop’ for data relating to cycling.
Getting improvements to infrastructure of our streets often involves a solid factual case for improvements. For instance, reducing speed limits to tame traffic relies on having good access to collision data to demonstrate that there is a problem.
Data for cycling advocacy
The site gives you direct access to UK data for:
- Planning applications
- Traffic counts
- Cycle theft
- Trip length (from CycleStreets journey planner)
- Problems reported by cyclists
- Photos (80,000+ images) for campaigning
- Cycleability ratings of every street and path
- Campaign groups around the UK
- Open access to each location – no cost
- Mix and match multiple layers
- Add filters on each layer
- Export to CSV
- Draw out area
- 3D view with buildings
In most cases, you can use filtering controls to show what you want to find. For instance, you can filter collision data to showing serious/fatal collisions at junctions. Or, perhaps you’d like to see all the reported places where cycle parking is needed, for instance:
You can enable multiple layers at once. Our aim with this in the future will be to enable various correlations, e.g. showing how high pollution and traffic levels in an area might result in low levels of cycling.
You can also, draw over an area to filter for that. Some layers also have an export facility enabled, so that you can easily obtain a spreadsheet of the same data as the map is showing.
What layers do we want to add next?
- Taxi data (Cambridge only at this stage)
- Census trip data
- School travel data
- … and more!
Features we want to add include:
- Add charts to show change over time, ‘telling a story’
- Enable comparisons between Local Authority areas
- Change the UI so that it automatically ‘tells a story’
- Add more data layers, e.g. pollution and accessibility analysis
- Add heatmap views for several layers
- Add a proper design and interface
- Enable more filtering controls
- More rapid updating of data